The Things People Say
People say a lot of things to depressed Christians. Not all of them are helpful, nice or even true. These are some of the worse things that get said. A lot of these sayings can be quite hurtful and damaging to the person on the receiving end.
If someone says these things, they need to be educated about what depression is and is not. Most of these sayings come from ignorance about the illness.
If you have been on the receiving end of something not listed here, please let us know via the feedback form, and we will try to provide an answer.
Several people have suggested excellent "sayings," and we are working to put them up here.
- There must be something wrong with your spiritual life
- Repent and ask forgiveness for your sin!
- Real Christians don't get depressed
- You need to have more faith / have faith in God
- Taking antidepressants is playing God, He can heal you
- Scripture says everything that happens is for your own good!
- You've been prayed for, why has nothing changed?
- Depression is a self discipline problem
- You should be praying about this.
- You just need to rebuke that spirit of depression and tell it to leave you. Don't let Satan steal your joy.